Friday File: “Death of the iPhone” — What’s Teased as Making Smartphones Obsolete in Five Years?

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | January 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Sniffing out the latest teaser from Technology & Opportunity

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2016/01/friday-file-death-of-the-iphone-whats-teased-as-making-smartphones-obsolete-in-five-years/

Patricia

Re: your first two paragraphs Travis, I found this “Stocks aren’t even close to being cheap” column as convincing today as it was when it was released three days ago, though I’m still barely a stock market amateur so can’t tell if the author is deliberately disregarding valuation metrics that don’t align with his view:

Elliot

Been in Himax (HIMX) for about a year and a half now. It’s a very small position for me now, as I already took profits at resistance after a good spike. Seems to be very tradeable, but I’m not much of a trader. I plan to hold my small position very long term as I believe this to be a lottery ticket.

midorosan
midorosan

Held Himax for a while a couple of years back sold at a tidy profit I’m not sure what the future is for them I think they are a well run company but take away the hyper BS and they are still in the chip business.
I think we all are aware that the chip business is the most competitive sector in the tech world and that there are all kinds of strange bedfellows (Apple/Samsung) for example, whether this little guy is going to make it big or not remains to be seen but you can be very sure that the competition is not standing idly by.
Keep up the good work Travis.

jrlartful
jrlartful

Travis, Your sidebar gave me pause, thank God, Jehovah, Allah or whomever (Oh that’s right they’re all the same entity, IN YOUR FACE, TRUMP!) I got out of 3d printing (and in the Twilight Zone, regarding what happens to workers) and I have yet to make a red cent in Graphene.

SoGiAm
Reply to  jrlartful

Welcome to the Gummune jrlartful 🙂 Best2YouAlwayz-Ben

dcohn

VR is going to be a huge part of technology going forward but it is so early that no one can be sure whether these first devices really will have any legs. I do believe that IOT crap and VR will be monstrous as they just fit in so well with all the crap the world seems to be heading towards.
Just my 2 cents. Been in IT since the mid 80’s when the IBM Mini computer like the AS400 was state of the art. It may not have been released yet actually as I believe it was around 1989 but the previous models.

geofam12
geofam12

Tim Cook recently said “something like you will be surprised with virtual reality from Apple this year sooner then you think” Apple is not that dumb to ignore VR. Do they need himax or anyone else I doubt it. There development budget is huge relative to others. They know VR is coming nothing sneaking up on them. Jobs was excellent but do not underestimate Tim Cook he seems to look at the right things uses his staff and seems to have a strong development train moving. I would doubt he missed VR. They are very good at building their own chips (ASIC) so I would expect Apple to top Himax when they actually release a product. See Apple never tells where they are going so everyone assumes they missed the mark and downgrades the stock. But they were working on it all the time. A brand new ios operating system about two years ago. It is clearly very adapatble. I am sure it has hooks for VR they but in years ago. They hired one engineer from Himax. You only need one the smart one.