Schaefer’s “This Company Has Everything You Want As An Investor…”

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | May 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Checking an Oil Royalty teaser for the Friday File, plus one buy in the Real Money Portfolio and updates on Franco-Nevada, Sandstorm, Douglas Dynamics, PCSB Financial, Ligand, Qualcomm, and Conduent. Phew!

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2017/05/friday-draft/

kmaier

I know you didn’t mention it, any clue why NAK dropped so much today on the news of the settlement with the EPA?

drmarburger
drmarburger
Reply to  kmaier

Perhaps the pumpers taking their profits-buy the rumor, sell the news. NAK has no evidence of an economic deposit and seemingly done very little to gather any such evidence but is burning through cash nevertheless. Even if they are able to someday make the case for an economic deposit, they will likely have a very hard time getting the money needed to build the mine (probably more than $6B, maybe a lot more).

thinairmony

Watch everybody give up on Northern Dynasty {U.S.A. (NYSE) $NAK Canada (TSX) $NDM } but David Gardner holds on and down the long runway and it goes airborne. And he makes a fortune. Experts say controversial Pebble Mine project not commercially viable says seeking alpha article.

πŸ‘ -196
1paglee
1paglee

Pebble was featured by WSJ yesterday in one of three editorials.

takeprofits

I guess I am not as patient as Travis. I sold my Sandstorm even though I have a high regard for Nolan Watson. Recent information made me question whether SAND is likely to advance in the near term, I like the business model of Ian Ball even better, si bought Abitibi Royalties as a replacement after meeting Ian a few years ago while he was still Rob McEwen’s lieutenant at MUX who now is a major backer of Abitibi and focused on creating value for shareholders taking just token salaries while being major stakes in the companies they run so their interests are perfectly aligned with shareholders. I am also considering buying into Osisko Gold Royalties where “in the money options are available at just over $2.

I would also note that Continental Gold has just announced an investment of $20. M from a major for a 19.9% position which is frequently a first stage movement in an eventual takeover. Continental has been as high as $10. on their holdings in Columbia and while it rose 28% on the news I am continuing to hold because if it just gets back to its previous high it will give me a 500% profit.

drmarburger
drmarburger
Reply to  takeprofits

Agree on Abitibi but don’t own it. I do own some Golden Valley which has a piece of Abitibi. I own Sand and Mariana. Rick Rule seems to believe Sand is way undervalued, even compared to OR. You may be correct that OR will outperform in the near term which seems to be the point you were making.

rhqjrvlq
Reply to  takeprofits

I love Sand. I have taken profits twice since June 2016 just got back in at 3.34 just missed the low. It’s been up and down, I believe it is on another cycle. Out again around 5.00?

rhqjrvlq
Reply to  rhqjrvlq

Just realized I was not supposed to use numbers sorry won’t happen again.

pieter132
pieter132

Travis,
I am sure you are aware why companies such as Apple, Google, Facebook did
so well last months? Indeed the swiss national bank purchasing with printed money shares so does japanese central bank , european central bank , Fed and others.
In fact it has nothing to do with these companies just because central banks now
have more faith in these listed companies instead of other govt bonds. It is insane
and crazy and can you imagine if the tie reverses?

DanM
DanM

Another great article, Travis! Thanks.

hillva
hillva

Travis – great analysis and discussion per usual. You said in the PBT discussion:

“There’s a decent listing of the US Oil and Gas Royalty Trusts here”

but my version had no live link – would you mind providing it? thanks

Miceal
Miceal

Travis
Would you like to hazard a guess of where FB share price could be in 2-5 years, presumably by which time they will have monetised Instagram, WhatsApp etc.? I’ve been in it since 2012 as a core holding and don’t ever think of selling, but might well consider it by then. I keep a word document of their results and comments, and think it may be interesting to share this from 2012:
β€œClearly there has been a lot of anticipation about today’s lockup expiration and what that may mean for the shares,” said Rick Summer, an analyst with investment firm Morningstar. Summer said he is encouraging clients to focus on fundamentals of the company and what their shares are worth. For Morningstar, that is a $32 a share in fair value, so Summer calls the current price β€œattractive.”
It reminds me of why I made purchases in small lots over a period of many months. If only I could have seen the future!

hutch11
hutch11

PBT sounds very similar to Viper (VNOM), the most recent buy recommendation by Lifetime Income Report. Similar dividend yield, although VNOM is $17.80 while PBT is only $9.8+. Anyone have an opinion on PBT vs. VNOM?

πŸ‘ -196