Friday File: Facebook, Alphabet, Amazon and other portfolio updates

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | July 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2017/07/friday-file-facebook-alphabet-amazon-and-other-portfolio-updates/

thinairmony

Travis well done, I wonder how long it took to come up with the name Amazon. In the past before Amazon obviously a phenomenal company. It was a giant gorgeous lady well portioned then the river with it’s giant size and thousands of species of animals and cannibal’s and voodoo and human flesh eating fish. Google has the dip because of the $$$$’s spent on artificial intelligence, some of the robots that have been made with deep learning, and autonomous cars is just unreal.

👍 -196
Louis
Louis

Travis,
The best way I’ve found to take a little money off the table with FB, etc is to sell puts & covered calls on them every month. I haven’t been but so what if I get assigned at a lower price.
Thanks Much. Louis

herbalix

Thanks Travis, always a pleasure and very insightful to listen to your thoughts. Love the way you are doing your Friday files. Thanks to you I got back into FB and GOOG and do not regret it.

Jay Ram

Caught an interesting blank check company in the IPO announcements from this past week: Industrea Acquisition currently trading under INDUU, which is a unit composed of one share of stock (that will soon trade under INDU) and a warrant to buy one share at $11.50 (that will trade under INDUW). The company was formed by a PE firm called Argand Equity. It’s a bunch of Cambridge and Harvard MBAs who look like a shining example of the rich getting richer. They talk like Buffett protégées, but the slick website and use of EBIDTA as an investment metric give cause for concern. But, if they’re about to make a trillion bucks buying up industrial companies from retiring founders, why not join ’em? This thing is certainly a little weird, so thought my fellow Gumshoers might take interest or have something to add.
SEC filing is here for those who want to pore over this thing. I’d like to compare them with some similar companies before deciding.

P.S. Looks like these companies are actually pretty common, but there doesn’t seem to be a go-to resource where one can find a list of them, learn their track records, etc. An ETF of this group might be interesting, but not seeing how any one of them really stands out.

odyssey123
odyssey123

Hi Travis
If you hadn’t already invested in FB Google Amazon or Shopify would you buy them at today’s prices

killer1kay
killer1kay
Reply to  odyssey123

I would pick a small dip and jump in there all gaint’s and safe stocks in my opinion i owned all of them at being of year and made a nice profit and sold recently but I’m going to buy back all of them again cause there just on a steady climb hope my little input helps

Shaun

Shaun
Reply to  Shaun

Sorry gkn not gsk

Shaun

Hi Travis/gumshoes, general question I’ve been meaning to ask following the portfolio updates. I’m from the UK and have been sent numerous correspondence over the last few months saying the US market is too pricey particularly with some of the protectionist measures being implemented (though I understand why these are popular). The advise has been that if you have large holdings in the U.S. market consider diversifying some of your capital into Japanese/ European shares which trade at a discount relatively speaking. With the dollar still riding high do you ever get tempted to do this? or is that partly the reason for looking at Fairfax India etc and your comment about emerging markets? Do you think that will help protect your capital if there is some kind of trade war? Or will they all fall in line with what the US market does?
OHi Travis/gumshoes, general question I’ve been meaning to ask since the portfolio updates. I’m from the UK and have been sent numerous correspnance saying the US market is too pricey and if you have large holdings in this market consider diversifying into Japanese/ European shares which trade at a discount relatively speaking. With the dollar riding high do you ever get tempted to do the same?
By the way on the trump debate he’s certainly not orthodox but he is certainly seems to be putting America first (at least from the outside looking in) I wish the British political establishment did more of it (the sale of gsk being a case in point)

Shaun
Reply to  Shaun

Apologies not sure why the paragraph repeated (kids trying to take the kindle off me issues) and I meant to say GKN not GSK (before GlaxoSmithKline share holders become excited.