Friday File: Turmoil in Tech-Land, earningspalooza continues, plus some small buys and a couple new watchlist stocks

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | July 27, 2018 11:22 pm

Moving the deck chairs around at the top of the Real Money Portfolio, particularly in big tech... plus some new life insurance watchlist stocks, and earnings news from Hershey, Starbucks, Qualcomm, CoreSite and so many more...

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2018/07/friday-file-turmoil-in-tech-land-earningspalooza-continues-plus-some-small-buys-and-a-couple-new-watchlist-stocks/

heretic001

Very informative; thank you.

๐Ÿ‘ 11
herbalix

Thanks Travis. It is always great to hear your take on things.
I did a few moves myself yesterday. Finally got rid of QCOM, just got tired of waiting for some change. But who knows, I will be watching for some future development.
I added some FB again simply because I think they will be back with some new ideas or perhaps buying some great company that will help them to grow in different areas. Like you, I had sold about half my position after the Cambridge Analytica crash. When FB recently climbed up to about $215 I could not believe how fast they had left all this mess behind. Perhaps not completely, but like you said, FB is still growing very nicely and the possiblilities for them are large.
I have a small posotion of GOOG and want to buy more of it, but would rather wait for a dip. Perhaps wishful thinking.
HSY sounds good too, and lucky me that I do own some MSFT.
NOK is definitely worth having on a watchlist and I am tempted to pull the trigger there, but probably no rush here.
Also tempted by TWTR, also I am not a user, but could see myself becoming one simply to follow others.

๐Ÿ‘ 170
StockMidas

AMZN is and remains one of the most amazing companies in the world. It churns out impressive earnings out time and again. A stock that trades uninterrupted above 200MA for 3ยฝ years with continued upward momentum is a feat on its own.

Making a statement (at the recent earnings report) that AMZNโ€™s next target is a market cap of $2 Trillion (from an already impressive $880 Billion) is a bold statement- but not for AMZN, and certainly not with Jeff Bezos at the helm.

AMZN is simply one of the โ€œmust haveโ€ stocks in any prudent portfolio. It surged in pre-market trading on Friday to $1883, then pulled back to $1817 at the close, probably in sympathy with a โ€œdown market dayโ€, which offers an ideal entry level. Even if it increases in pre-market trading before the bell on Monday AMZN is and will remain a Buy โ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘ 259
stockgumchew
stockgumchew

I wonder if Facebook and Twitter’s efforts to clean up fake and malicious content will result in permanently lower earnings. Fact is they’ve made a LOT of money from Trolls, faksters etc.
We might see the day when you have to subscribe to FaceBook like you would with Netflix (or now YouTube) et al because that will be their main revenue generator.

๐Ÿ‘ 57
JackInTheBox

Travis you are the best! I think Facebook is really up-playing their security spending, while down-playing their general outlook not to stab the regulators in the eyes, and will be just fine in the future. There isnโ€™t an advertising platform that comes close for small businesses, and even larger ones. And in reality spending on security is probably a good investment for the company. I just bought the dip on FB.

๐Ÿ‘ 117
Jay Ram

Is anyone else here watching Focus Financial (FOCS)? IPO’d this past week. My understanding is they’re the only publicly traded pure play in the independent wealth management/RIA space. Looks fully valued although probably still in the upper end of a fair valuation. I’m watching for now.

AT&T (T) is interesting. Seems everyone hates DirecTV. I think “everyone” hates all the major cellular and cable providers. It looks like one of those RedBox situations where trends are not in your favor, but there’s still enough money being made to keep the train running for a long time and chances are management will figure something out sooner or later. But if it’s much later, we might be looking at an IBM in the 1980s situation where the story is always good enough that professionals can’t get fired for buying, but the company never delivers.

๐Ÿ‘ 73
eugene11803
eugene11803

FB – how can they grow? Who is going on FB that has never been on FB? My aunt Sally? They are going to continue to grow ad revenue and users will continue to move to different social media sites. All owned by Facebook. They are not a social media company. Think of them as an information company. They know everything about u. That is where their value lies.

๐Ÿ‘ 62