Friday File: Apple and NVIDIA get Ugly

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | November 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2018/11/friday-file-apple-and-nvidia-get-ugly/

fngwave
fngwave

Looking at ACRG – CN, DXYN, bought Hon-Hai @2.58
Happy thanksgiving

steveflick
Reply to  fngwave

Acreage Holdings I’ve seen as ACRG by some authors; it is available on the CSE: ACRG.U, the U means listed/traded in US $Dollars, not Canadian; it’s IPO was Nov.16. Acreage Holdings, New York, ACRZF available on US OTC pink slips; I bought a little, $3k, today through US broker.

franck
Reply to  steveflick

can you please let me know who the broker is so I can buy some to , thanks.

steveflick
Reply to  franck

I bought ACRZF Acreage Holdings at broker Fidelity. Since it is so new, there is a $50. fee to re-direct to a Canadian broker. That will probably go away in a few weeks.

steveflick

Bought $4k NVDA $164.44; should have read your article first and waited for it to fall to $150. Oh well, yes, I know I need to be patient for a couple or more quarters. Yes, IIPR went crazy up today, nice.

bunion132

Am I imagining a mirage in this trade war desert, or are there really investors out there cautiously easing back into Chinese stocks? There seems to be a steady price decline in the China Inverse ETFs. I’m thinking there must be some vegetation re-sprouting in the desert, no? I’m not interested in the high-flying β€œBAT” stocks just yet but am curious about iQiyi, dubbed β€œmost successful IPO” earlier this year, only to fall prey to the tariff vultures like all the rest. Just a couple of days ago, news reports announced an agreement between CBS Corp and IQ to air the β€œLate Show with James Corden” on Chinese tv. I guess that disqualifies IQ from β€œTeased Turkey of the Year”, right? Your updated (albeit cautious) thoughts, then, on risking getting back into IQ now or soon?

gdoggcrunch
Reply to  bunion132

I saw the same perking up in the China stocks. So I decided to start scaling into some Dec out of the money MCHI 58 strike options yesterday. Any bounce can happen quick in overseas trading. However China is the GE of Countries and could go to zero.

gdoggcrunch

Its interesting how the Apple worm has turned. From the perception of innovation when Steve Jobs β€œinvented” the iPod, which was just an MP3 player… that morphed into a big iPod, or iPad, which was a Tablet PC after Tablets had been out for years. They just make stuff work better. They disrupted the music media business. They can disrupt banking, healthcare, insurance and some other industries If they choose to. Being part of Bershire makes it very interesting. I think Cook has this figured out already while wall street is trying to count units sold.

herbalix
Reply to  gdoggcrunch

The last sentence of your statement hit a home run with my wishful thinking!

gdoggcrunch
Reply to  herbalix
Martin

You say in your discussion of $NVDA that “If you are permitted” , can you not buy or sell stocks like normal people ?

tanglewood
Reply to  Martin

It’s just #NVDA, Travis has an explanation but I couldn’t find it. He has a relative working for the company.

Denny

Good call on IIPR Travis. So glad we have your expertise to make knowledgeable decisions on your articles. Happy Thanksgiving to the Gumshoe family.

tanglewood

Travis this Friday file is not showing up in the list of articles that you get when you click ‘Stock Gumshoe’

twilliams
twilliams

I’m a gamer and work in I.T. and I have kept a good eye on graphics card prices from NVDA. You would think, that after their stock drop, prices would come down below all time lows, but they haven’t. Currently, cards are sitting at mid October pricing. Low, but not as low as maybe they should be to really move inventory.

Also, it will take some time for software developers to take advantage of the ray tracing capability of the new cards. As of September, there were only four games on the market that could use the new tech. To me, that may mean NVDA management was too aggressive on their release of the new cards and didn’t give enough time for software support for ray tracing and, of course, sell down of old inventory.

All in all, I’m personally not very impressed with their management as of late. I have hopes for their continued investment in A.I. as their chips are well suited for those applications. At least until quantum processing becomes mobile.

JackInTheBox

How come BRK.B didnt take a beating, considering the exposure it has to AAPL?