Friday File: Bouncing Keys and a “Too Good to be True” Reminder

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | May 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Checking in on a couple new buys, including some REIT talk -- notes on IIPR, KEYS, IIPR, NOK & ERIC, OKTA, SNH and more...

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2019/05/friday-file-bouncing-keys-and-a-too-good-to-be-true-reminder/

abhinavsukumar
abhinavsukumar

Thanks Travis. Would you be able to provide suggestions on, say, top 5 REITs (across the real estate spectrum) in Canada? While I am tempted to nibble in to US REIT’s, using a tax-deferred account is not exactly the best way to do so. Makes me think of shifting my attention locally.

Thanks again. Wish you a great weekend!

sylvesterelvis
sylvesterelvis
Reply to  abhinavsukumar

I have held Killiam Apartment and Canadian Apartment properties for years. Both REITS. They have done well but I’d like to find an ETF or Fund holding these. I can find them on the Toronto exchange but not available through my broker. I can find US ETF’s but they are just Canadian, not focused funds. Ideas anyone?

jrussel18
jrussel18

I like OHI for a medical REIT, better return than MPW

oliveira
oliveira

Travis, is there a reason you donΒ΄t appear to be interested in any of the Pimco closed end funds which seem to pay good dividends (over 8%)? I would love to hear your sound reasoning.

Investor Clouseau
Investor Clouseau

As usual, thanks for an informative Friday File. Still confidently holding $MPW $NOK and $ERIC, seriously looking into opening a starter $KEYS position on Monday.

narr01
narr01

Yes, what a shame that Hulbert’s Digest is gone! He was not only proof for the many bad newsletters but also for the few good ones that have outperformed over time. I still keep the back issues.
Mexican REITs: I held Fibra Inn for a while, and that was profitable for me. Still, I sold prematurely because of the constant border and trade noise. Fibra Inn or Fibra Danhos seem to be cheaper, with less debt and a higher yield than Fibra Uno. The whole group of Mexican REITs may be something worthwhile to look into. But you surely need good nerves to buy-and-hold them…

bludolphint

Excellent point in your opening comments about “too good to be true….” It really got me thinking about the newsletter “industry”, and I think your reasoning is spot on. It really is the investors responsibility to check these letters out if they are interested in them. That is what you do so well Travis; peeling back the hype to see if there is any value inside. It helps greatly the search for good investments. Thank you

srbreon
srbreon

For REITs, does anyone subscribe to High Yield Landlord by Jussi Askola? I signed up a few months ago and have really appreciated his thorough research & active chat room. I have done well with several of his picks.

yasmas
yasmas

Hi Travis, after today’s news about China putting pressure on FedEx, I have looked at your previous Friday File again where you mentioned UPS. I tend to agree with your analysis of UPS strengths and the valuation is getting enticing. I wonder though, what are your thoughts of FedEx. It’s valuation is getting really cheap and it has good analysts growth estimates. Appreciate your thought on comparing FedEx vs UPS for a long hold from here?

abhinavsukumar
abhinavsukumar
Reply to  yasmas

Isn’t FedEx on the Chinese government’s ‘companies under scrutiny’ list (in retaliation to US’ treatment of Huawei)?

yasmas
yasmas
Reply to  abhinavsukumar

Yes they started an investigation. One of the reasons for the low valuation.

ggswift

Unless in a ROTH account the REITS are a nightmare at tax time!