Friday File: One Sell, One Short, A few add-on Buys… plus some quarterly updates

by Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe | August 23, 2019 12:21 am

Updates and notes on Kweichow Moutai, Altius Minerals, Kennedy-Wilson, Tesla, Disney, Equinox Gold, Shopify, iQIYI, Hershey, Premier, Keysight and more...

Source URL: https://sgumdev.stockgumshoe.com/2019/08/friday-file-one-sell-one-short-a-few-add-on-buys-plus-some-quarterly-updates/

deanbob
deanbob

Travis,
When a consolidation is done, like Equinox, it seems reasonable that the number of warrants are adjusted in the same ratio as the shares. But how is the warrant strike adjusted/determined?

warrants
stock consolidation
mike_d
mike_d
Reply to  deanbob

Warrants are not being adjusted. It will take 5 warrants to purchase 1 share of stock

mike_d
mike_d

Join the discussion…Sorry Travis. You are correct. I should have more specific about EQX warrants.

lottifab

Travis
Maybe I lost some of your shorting classes here;) . What’s the rational behind your decision to go Long 1 call at 275 to protect your short?
Instead of other alternatives?
Thanks

Paul
Paul

I would definitely be interested to read a blog post about shorts and limits. I’m a bit new around here and still have a lot to learn!

planman
planman

Let’s talk shorts…I’d enjoy reading your missives on the topic.

meridian
meridian

Shorting with a stop loss would also control your capital at risk, so I’m curious about your reasons for not liking that as a possibility.

lottifab

Hi Travis
TSLA is going higher but will it last?
I don’t think so..
Anyway I would like to ask you.
What’s the right position sizing for a long call hedge against a 100 stock short selling?..
Thanks to clarify this.

Michael Jorrin, "Doc Gumshoe"

Take the Kweichow Moutai loot & buy some Talisker or perhaps Uigeadail . Best, MJ

stockgumchew
stockgumchew

Travis,
I’m curious that you increasingly doubt the investing acumen of Prem of Fairfax, but hold a company he invests in (Altius). Is he the proverbial “stopped clock that’s right twice a day” on this one?

feellicks
feellicks

Looks like we may get our KEYS entry soon… all out trade wars time!

Travis, would be curious on your thoughts and ideas on how you plan to navigate these trade wars? How are you managing risk? For example liquidating more and holding cash? I’m currently going 90% cash myself…

Steve
Steve

That 1:5 reverse split in December sure paid off for Eldorado Gold

lesdoyle

I too was an Altius Minerals stock holder for the long term. But with one of their primary resources getting creamed this year and next, I sold (reluctantly) because there won’t be the normal need for potash this year or next due to the water damage in the US farming areas. Most crops were either not planted or lost due to the floods. Farmer’s that had bought potash and not used it this year because they were under water, will wait and use their stored potash next year. That means lower sales for next year and those that hadn’t bought yet for this year will wait until next year which means they made no purchases this year. I still like Altius’ long term but will wait for the agricultural industry to do some rebounding after next year. Just a thought from an old “Country boy” πŸ™‚

eleanor
eleanor

Travis, would you buy back XLNX if price drops more or is this one dead in the water for you? I miss out on both KEY and CCI.

klinkhamerjoop
klinkhamerjoop

Why not sail around the 5G problem with and ETF? Like https://www.defianceetfs.com/fivg

mountain dude
mountain dude

I also have those stocks in my portfolio. All except XLNX. Good to see you are on board too Travis. What/ when the stall out of rollout?

tanglewood

Hi Travis I have shorted a few companies this year with TD Ameritrade and have not been charged a borrowing fee. I thought the original announcement of the China tariffs would have a negative effect on Dollar General #DG, Dollar Tree #DLTR, Lululemon #LULU, Five Below #FIVE but unfortunately, my shorting did not stop the momentum train. I am going to check with them on Tesla #TSLA to see if there is a borrowing fee. It might have something to do with availability.

blueribbon

Shorting is really better for professional or experienced traders. You could just buy puts instead.
The only risk is the premium you pay.